Friday, October 14, 2011

Reuben's Train



Reuben's train is another staple at your humble Brewpub. It's actually a blues song, and tells the story of someone who owned and operated a train and eventually had a wreck. 


Vinnie Farsetta usually sings lead on this one.  You can check him out on the video down below, which was made at the Blue Moose (thanks for filming this, Rich McGervey!).  I think the Jam moved down there when the Brew Pub was temporarily closed some years ago. 

Reuben's Train is played in a pentatonic scale.  All that means is that the scale has only five notes in it, and in particular, the minor note is used.

This song can be as simple or as complex as you want to make it. If you want to have your mind blown, check out the licks played by a top banjo player like Vinnie or Bob Shank.  These fellows are all up and down the neck of the instrument, and to tell the truth, I can scarcely follow what they are doing.

However, not to be intimidated, even relative beginners like yours truly can play along with the song if you can focus on the melody.   

Here is a very simple riff that you can play along with.  A "riff" is a short musical melody that you play over and over that fits in with the song.

On your instrument (doesn't matter if it's a guitar, mando or banjo), find the "G" string, and play this, starting on the 7th fret:

7   7  5  7      7  5  3  0

or if you prefer,
d  d  c  d     d  c  b-  g 

(the lower case letters mean that notes are being played rather than the entire chord and the minus sign signifies b-flat). 



In the minor pentatonic key you can play the exact same pattern on the D string and it will harmonize.  In my case, I play mandolin with a mountain-style cross tuning (GDGD), so it's very hard to screw up.   

The critical thing is the timing. When Mr. Farsetta is belting this out, you need to hit the rhythm exactly or it will sound bad.  On the other hand, even if you play the "wrong" note, it will still sound ok as long as you are on the minor pentatonic scale. 

Some folks know this song as "900 miles."  The melody is about the same, but the  lyrics are quite different.  900 miles talks about someone who is simply riding a train (possibly a metaphor for living).  I've appended a version below by Bethany and Rufus.  This is quite different from the way we play it.  I kind of like this version because cello is one of only two instruments used to make this song, and our group often has  a cello or two in the mix.  And let's face it, Bethany is way better looking than Vinnie.

This song is also related to the folky "500 miles"  and probably a few others.  Even though the melodies are similar, the sounds are totally different because of tempo and rhythm.

  
 

 
Old Reuben had a train, and the train had a track.
And he run it to the Lord knows where.
Oh me, oh Lordy my! He run it to the Lord knows where.

Old Reuben had a wreck and it broke his fireman's neck,
And he cannot read a letter on his own. 

Oh me, oh Lordy my!  He cannot read a letter on his own. 
  
I got myself a blade, laid Reuben in the shade,
I'm startin' me a graveyard of my own.
Oh, me, oh Lordy my, startin' me a graveyard of my own.
 
Old Reuben had a train, and the train had a track. 
And he run it to the Lord knows where.
Oh me, oh Lordy my! He run it to the Lord knows where.
 
Should been in town when Reuben's train went down
You could hear that whistle blow 100 miles
Oh me, oh Lordy my you could hear the whistle blow 100 miles

 Last night I lay in jail had no money to go my bail
 Lord how it sleeted & it snowed
 Oh me, oh my Lord how it sleeted & it snowed

 I've been to the East, I've been to the West
 I'm going where the chilly winds don't blow
 Oh me, oh my I'm going where the chilly winds don't blow

 Oh the train that I ride is 100 coaches long
 You can hear the whistle blow 100 miles
 Oh me, oh my you can hear the whistle blow 100 miles

No comments:

Post a Comment