Sunday, June 10, 2012

All Night Long (Richmond Blues)



     All Night Long, which is also known as the All Night Long Blues or the Richmond Blues, is a great jam tune.  It's a very simple blues progression, and the chorus only has three words, so even I can remember it. At  Morgantown Brewing Company, we played it in the key of G, while at the Trolley Stop in Dayton Ohio, we played it in the key of C.  


Dan Gellert from Dayton way, nails Richmond Blues at Clifftop, 2013.  


Burnett and Rutherford recorded All Night Long in 1928.  They are actually in the key of B-flat, which is the Antichrist key for intermediate level players (one way out is to try the capo on 3rd and play as if were the key of G). 



Clarence Tom Ashley,  the fellow holding the guitar, and the Blue Ridge Mountain Entertainers performed a version of All Night Long, also in the late 1920's.  Ashley would eventually become friends with a young Doc Watson and perform together at various venues including the Newport Folk Festival  in the early 1960s.   A Folkways version by Clarence Tom and Doc is linked here (for whatever reason I'm not able to imbed it in the blog):  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ77jez37Mo

The lyrics are not particularly sophisticated. They tell  the story of a fellow (with a wife and family) who left home in order to pursue some other woman.  "I coulda been sleeping in mama's bed" is referring to an ex-wife and not to be taken literally (unless of course, the composer has even more problems than the average blues singer!).  And, as is typical in a blues song, the woman is blamed for everything.  "On account of you....I left my home...I'd rather be dead than be treated this way."



This is a more recent version, and has tap dancing accompaniment.  This is guaranteed to help your sense of rhythm! 


Here's a version from John Heneghan (guitar) and Eden Brower (resonator uke + legs) and the East River String Band with some help from Robert Crumb (Cheap Suit Serenaders), Pat Conte (Canebreak Rattlers & Legendary Otis Brothers), Dom Flemons (Carolina Chocolate Drops), Eli Smith, Craig Judelman & Walker Shepard (The Dust Busters), Ernesto Gomez (Brotherhood Of The Jug Band Blues).

G   C  G   G   Burnett and Rutherford  =  C    F   C   C
G   D  G   G   (capo on 3)                    =  C    G   G   C

G  C   G   G                                         =   C   F    C   C
G  D   G   G                                         =   C   G    G  C

***********************************************************


Honey all night long, Baby all night long
Got the Richmond Blues, Baby all night long

I’m going to the depot

Look on the board
If the train ain’t here
Somewhere's on the road
Well I left the country
And I moved to town

That's when my baby
Was done and gone.

Honey all night long, Baby 
all night long,
Got the Richmond Blues, Baby all night long.
 (Fiddle) 

If I’d have minded

What mama said
I could-a been sleeping
In Mama’s bed

Me being young

And foolish too
I left my home
On account of you.

On account of you,

On account of you
I left my home
On account of you.

I'd rather be dead;
And in my grave
Than be in this town
Treated this a-way.

All night long, All night long,
All night long, All night long.

Ain’t got no woman
Ain't got no kin
Ain't got nobody
To be bothered with.

All night long, All night long,

All night long, All night long.

(Fiddle break)


So if I live

And don’t get killed
Gonna make my home
In Louisville.

All night long, all night long
All night long, From midnight on.

(Fiddle break)


All night long,
All night long
All night long, All night long.
(Fiddle break) 







No comments:

Post a Comment