Saturday, March 11, 2017

Who is Colin David, and Where is He?

Back in 2011, some amazing videos appeared with a fellow named Colin David who played some really cool Leadbelly-esque songs.   I mean, Holy Cow, these are not easy songs. I'm very impressed by  what he was able to do. 

    Check out the Midnight Special:

The Midnight Special

     I also like this variant of House In New Orleans.  Leadbelly did the familiar version which has been recorded by many others, but also this variant version which has a different melody and some different lyrics:

Way Down in New Orleans

.     I've tried to track him down, without success.  All I know from his videos is that he used to play at McCleary's Pub in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania.   I even called McCleary's but no one could identify him.  I kind of doubt whether Colin David is his real name, or at least I've not been able to find him via Google or the other usual search methods.  

    I wonder if it might have been tough to find an audience that appreciates Leadbelly songs in Lancaster County, but I would think the video medium is a perfect way to reach people all over the world.  
   
    I certainly hope that Mr. David will return to recording videos.  I think he's very talented and hope that the rest of the world will have the opportunity to listen. 
   
   Somewhere out there, I feel certain that one of you folks knows Mr. David, and I hope you'll let me know more about him and whether he's still out there playing Leadbelly songs someplace.   If you can shed light on this mystery, I hope you'll post a comment to this blog or get in touch with me some other way.    

No comments:

Post a Comment